Arizona City Within Coconino National Forest: 10 Best Places to Stay in The Arizona Forest Territory
The Arizona Forest’s range of activities from hiking to horseback riding make it a perfect place for those on the go. The forest also has many surrounding towns that offer shopping, restaurants, and services for visitors. Here are our 10 favorite things to do in the forest:
1. Visit the visitor center. This is a great place for visitors to learn about the forest and enjoy displays of the lives of our native animals and plants.
2. Go on a horseback ride or hike. There are too many hikes to list but we recommend hiking at Ponderosa Regional Park, Hinsham Park, Unicorn Canyon Trailhead, and Sedona’s Buckeye Trailhead because they are so close to Arizona City.
3. Visit lily pads and ponds for wildlife viewing opportunities.
4. Enjoy a 5k or 12k run or walk. Ask the park rangers for information about upcoming races if you are ready to compete.
5. Exploring the inside of the forest is always fun, we recommend visiting Saguaro Lake, Desert View Lookout, and Hidden Canyon Overlook to see views that are seldom seen by tourists.
6. Bring your dog with you to visit the forest. With a leash, of course, dogs are allowed throughout the forest and people love seeing them.
7. Visit Sedona for the day. The city is about a 30 minute drive from Arizona City and has many great tourist destinations.
Great places to stay at Zion National Park
The quickest way to see the park is to leave the Grand Canyon and head straight to Zion. Zion National Park is only three hours from the Grand Canyon’s South Rim entrance, which makes it the perfect short day trip. Also, there are many lodging options in the park, including motels and campgrounds. Zions National Park offers great hiking and biking trails, a number of spectacular views, and views of the Virgin River Gorge. The Virgin River Gorge is located to the west of Zion Canyon and is accessible by a paved road. Graded rock walls line both sides of the road. The wide, mild-flowing Virgin River flows through the gorge. There are many amazing photo opportunities here so be sure to bring your camera.
Zion National Park’s Top Travel Destinations & Hotels for 2019
Zion National Park is one of the most popular national parks in the western United States for both tourism and vacationing. It is located about 3 hours from Bryce Canyon National Park and about 4 hours from Grand Canyon South Rim. With so places to stay at Zion, it can be hard to know where to stay and what to expect when you arrive at your desired destination. We recommend that you start by reading our guide on Zion National Park’s Top Travel Destinations by clicking the link above.
The following is a list of the top travel destinations and hotels to stay at Zion National Park for 2019. These are ideal for hiking, wildlife viewing, photography, and family vacations. We have included information on the location, nearby activities and restaurants, room rates with current discounts from various travel companies, and more!
1) Angel’s Landing Campground
Location: Near Kolob Reservoir; from the park’s visitor center, go south on Utah Route 9 for approx. 6.5 miles then turn right onto Kolob Terrace Road for 1.5 miles; turn right on the paved road back towards the park’s visitor center and go 0.8 miles to a small parking area on the left side of the road
Top Activities: Hiking, Backpacking, Photography, Horseback Riding
Zion National Park Lodging Guide
There are many hotel options in the park. If you plan to stay in nearby Springdale, Utah, just east of the park entrance, we recommend booking your Zion National Park lodging when you make your Grand Canyon South Rim tour booking. Click the link above to learn more about various hotels and campgrounds near the park. If you are looking for a place to stay near the park’s west entrance, there are a couple of hotels and motels within 10 miles of the west entrance. Staying west of the park allows you to avoid Zion’s busiest season from December through March.
* ABOUT THE HOTELS
. For detailed information about Zion National Park hotels and other lodging choices, click this link to visit the Zion National Park Lodging Guide on the park staff’s website, zionnationalparklodging.com. The guide contains detailed information about all park hotels and motels and their rates. (We provide links to the Lodging Guide when available.)
* OVERVIEW OF RATE SERVICES AND DISCOUNTS:
* HOTELS IN THE PARK OR NEARBY:
. Zion Lodge is the only hotel operated by the National Park Service within the park boundaries. All other Zion hotels are located outside the park and on private land, some 12 miles east of the main entrance. The main lodging facility in Springdale is a five-minute drive from the park.
. There are several hotels within a 7-mile drive of the park; if your hotel stay is less than a full week, we recommend booking your Zion National Park lodging when you make your Grand Canyon South Rim tour booking.