The History of Old Corry Field Road in Mobile, Alabama and Why It’s Worth a Visit

Introduction: What is Old Corry Field Road?

Old Corry Field Road is an old dirt road in Beaver County, Pennsylvania that has been partially paved and is still in use today. It has a length of 1.3 miles and runs from State Route 18 to Beaver-Waverly Road. It’s named after John Corry, the son of one of the original settlers, who became the first Keeper of Beaver County in 1794 and was elected its first Associate Judge in 1795.
In 1794, during the French and Indian War, John Corry was called to the nation’s capital to assist in the passage of a military bill. While in Washington, D.C., Corry met Thomas Jefferson, who convinced him to move to Pennsylvania.
Before Corry was able to settle down in his new home, however, he was elected as Associate Judge of Beaver County. He held this position from 1795 until 1803. He was the county’s first Associate Judge and held this position for 12 years, turning it down twice. After his term ended, Corry chose to remain in Pennsylvania near his old home.

old corry field road and perdido street
old corry field road and perdido street

First Section: The Beginning of Old Corry Field Road

Old Corry Field Road (often abbreviated to Old Corry Road or just Old Corry) was originally known as North Road and was the main road from Beaver County to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It was first used as a road in 1797 but it wasn’t until 1804 that it was fully paved. The Beaver and Pittsburgh Railroad ran alongside the road from 1850 to 1855, which caused severe damage and increased its erosion. This may be one of the reasons why the road’s condition has declined today. However, the road’s original purpose has never changed. Today the road is still used to bring produce from farms in Beaver County and Pittsburgh and to commute people to work.
Old Corry Field Road is a 2.6 mile long road and it runs from Patterson Avenue to East Liverpool Road in East Liverpool, Ohio. It was first known as North Road and this name can still be seen on some of the street signs today. The name changed around 1866 to Old Corry Field Road or just Old Corry. It is unknown what the reason for this change was, although it could have been named after the man who owned a large portion of land along the road at that time, Alexander Corry.

old corry field road and perdido street
old corry field road and perdido street

Second Section: Some Notable Residents

John Corry (1757-1840) was the first Keeper of Beaver County, Pennsylvania in 1794 and was elected the first Associate Judge in 1795. He was famous for his fairness and impartiality during trials and he also had a daughter, Eugenia. He is most remembered for being the judge who oversaw the trial of Richard Harding, Jr., an accused pirate in 1809. He is also known for being one of the early settlers on what would become Beaver County. He was elected to the State Legislature for five consecutive terms, representing the district of Bedford and Beaver Counties”
“Many others were also part of this “plantation community” as it was called. In 1794, as part of the Pennsylvania constitution, a law was passed that prohibited slavery in all public offices. This law was followed by other states and by 1900, only six states still allowed slavery. The Beaver County court house served as a jail and that is where people who were convicted of crimes against the state, or citizens of Beaver County who were accused of crimes, were held.
“Among the most notable people associated with Beaver County are Frances and Thomas Jefferson. Since he was a justice in the court system and their son was born shortly before he passed away, it would be logical to think that they would have some historical importance to this county. But just as many other people influenced this area during that time, so too did they.

old corry field road and perdido street
old corry field road and perdido street