A Brief History of 1710 N. 15th St. Phila, PA 11921
The building at 1710 North 15th St. in Philadelphia, PA was often referred to as the “Pearl of the North Quarter” because of its beauty and its location within a fashionable and prosperous part of the city. A ten-story office building constructed in 1916, it is currently home to Drexel University’s College of Medicine. The building has a limestone façade and was designed in the Italian Renaissance style. The six-bay wide façade is accentuated by pilasters, which are topped with Ionic capitals. The two-story marble lobby is decorated with Corinthian columns and a coffered ceiling. Classrooms and a seminar room occupy the upper floors.
The building was built in 1916 by the firm of J. H. Williams, Jr., and designed by Cass Gilbert, a noted 19th century architect known for the New York Public Library on Fifth Avenue and the original Pennsylvania Station in New York City. The building was constructed on land originally owned by the Oblins, and leased until 1930 to a succession of tenants including a wireless telegraph station, Nathan S. Anschutz, an optometrist and a custom clothier.